To enable smooth operation, place all the necessary parts on a table, but leave some free space in front of the ozonizer, if necessary.
Write down the following information:
Date: _______ Station: _________ Operator: __________
Check the label on the flight box and record the information here.
Ozone sensor number:
Date of manufacture:
Pump pressure:____________ in Hg
Pump voltage:____________ V DC
Pump current:____________ mA
Flow rate:_____________s/100 ml
Connect the ozone sensor to the ozonizer (motor, output, sensor leads).
- Turn on the ozonizer.
- Record IB0 before applying
any ozone to the sensor:
- Condition the pump and the dry sensor with HI O3 for 30 minutes.
After 10 minutes of HI O3, check the following values from the
Table 1. Values in Ozonizer Value Measured Limit Values Pump voltage _________ V 12 ... 13 V Pump current _________ mA ECC-6A: < 115 mA; Model Z <100 mA Head pressure _________ Pa > 700 hPa app. 20 in Hg Vacuum (this is a minus value) _________ Pa > 500 hPa app. 14.8 in Hg
- Turn off HI O3. Run NO O3 for 5 minutes.
Next, you must charge sensor cathode and anode. Use a different syringe for cathode and
Charge sensor cathode with solution 3.0 cm3 and wait 2 minutes.
Charge sensor anode with solution 1.5 cm3.
After using the syringes, rinse them carefully with distilled water.
Run NO O3 for 10 minutes.
The current starts to decrease. Sensor background current after 10 minutes (typically the value is under 1.5 μA) on NO O3: ____________μA
- Run on moderate ozone (about 5 μA) for 5 minutes.
- Check that the LCD display background current starts to rise to 5 μA or more. Use the OZONE CONTROL tube to adjust and maintain the current at 5 μA for 5 minutes.
Run on NO O3 for 10 minutes. Check that O3 decreases by 70-80% in 1 minute.
Record the background current: IB1____________μA
The background current may be 0.2 to 0.5 μA at this time. It will decrease during the next days as the sensor is stored.
- Switch everything off.
- Add 3 ml to cathode.
- Short-circuit the ozone sensor wires.
- Put the ozone sensor back to the flight box and store it in a dark, clean-air environment at a temperature of 20 ... 25 °C until it is used.
After these preparations, a sensor cleaning process takes place, whereby both half cells (anode and cathode) and ionbridge get in balance.