The steps below describe how to connect to the transmitter using the PuTTY terminal application for Windows and a USB computer connection cable.
- If you have not used the Vaisala USB cable before, install the driver before attempting to use the cable.
- Connect the USB cable between your computer and the transmitter's service port.
- Start the PuTTY application.
- Select Serial or USB line to connect to field. If you are using the PuTTY terminal application supplied by Vaisala, you can press the USB Finder button to open the Vaisala USB Instrument Finder program. and check that the correct COM port is selected in the
Check that the other serial settings are correct for your connection, and change if
necessary. Flow control should be set to
None unless you have a reason to change it.
Select Terminal. Use the following settings:
- Local Echo
- Select Force on. This setting ensures that your typing is shown on the session window.
- Send line ends with line feeds (CR+LF)
- Make sure this option is not selected. Enabling line end sending with line feeds can cause issues with the terminal connection.
To open the connection window and start using the serial line, select
If PuTTY is unable to open the serial port you selected, it shows you an error message instead. If this happens, restart PuTTY and check the settings.